Social Icons

Pages

Saturday, February 2, 2008

President Hinckley


I watched President Hinckley's funeral today and thought it was the perfect tribute to him. There's not a whole lot that I can say that hasn't already been said, but I was inspired by his teachings. My favorite thing he taught was to be a little better. I loved the way he encouraged everyone to continue learning and growing no matter where you are in your life. I also appreciated his council to the young women of the church to get an education. That is something I have always believed in and was grateful for his words of encouragement that always seemed timely. He will be missed, but he would not want us to be too sad. He would want us to continue working hard and serve those around us. I am usually not a very emotional person, but at the end of the funeral service, when a series of images of President Hinckley were shown with the Choir singing "My Shepherd Will Supply My Need", I wept openly. That is by far my favorite song. Especially poetic is the last verse which states: "O may Thy house be mine abode, And all my work be praise! There would I find a settled rest, While others go and come; No more a stranger, nor a guest, But like a child at home." I believe President Hinckley is at home with our Father in Heaven and his beloved wife, Marjorie.

1 comment:

Steve, ToVah, Avery, and Z said...

Yes, my favorite food used to be cucumbers, but Steve's Grandpa bombarded me with them the last two summers. My new favorite is broccoli, which is funny because before I got pregnant with Zander I hated it. Broccoli was one of the only things I craved while pregnant with him. And now I love it. How are you guys doing? How is the pregnancy going? How far along are you now? Do you know yet if it is a boy or a girl?