Social Icons

Pages

Sunday, February 1, 2015

Sharing on Facebook

I love to keep in touch with family and friends on Facebook.  As a military child, I've moved a lot, so it's quite a treat to keep in touch.  I used to think that Facebook was a virtual doldrums, with no actual positive aspects.  While it certainly has that potential, when you have self-control and a bit of foresight, you can make Facebook a great, positive thing in your life. You can maintain connections with important people and #sharegoodness with others.  People are even using Facebook to help others learn more about the gospel.
I used to think, "I am so glad Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram were not around when I was a teenager!"  Mostly, I think that because of the choices I made in high school and the choices of some of my friends that put me in some interesting situations.  Then, I wondered if my choices would have been the same if I knew there was a possibility of my parents seeing it!  I am sure that if my high-school self was Facebook friends with my mom, young women leaders, aunts and uncles, I would have altered a few of my choices.  Maybe I would have been able to stay in touch with friends from Youth Conference and Girls' Camp.  Maybe I would have been excited to share and pin quotes from General Conference meetings at church. Maybe Social Media would have been a positive influence?  I know I am trying to make Social Media a positive part of my life now. So, as my children continue to grow, I hope I can show them how to be an uplifting member of the Social Media community.  It's important to be aware of the pitfalls of technology and #fightthenewdrug .  
So, what do you think of Social Media?  I used it today to share with my friends and family the latest school project that Joseph has been working on.  He finished his model of the planet Uranus.  Yay for 3rd Grade Core Knowledge

No comments: