Social Icons

Pages

Monday, August 9, 2010

Build a bridge . . .

. . . and get over it. I just heard a great speech on the subject of not holding on the hate or grudges because it only hurts you. Pretty simple idea - don't hold on to petty arguments, frankly forgive people and give them the benefit of the doubt. It's something I've been working on for a while, so the speech was a good moment for me to see what I had been doing right and how I can improve. I'm not so great at sending love to people who offend me - I'm better at just ignoring them and moving on. I also learned that I need to cut people out who "blow out my pilot light". Energy suckers who just suck out all the positivity I'm working hard to maintain. I need to work on that. And today, I had an opportunity to do just that.
I was reading through several blog posts of people that I have befriended over the last several years of my life. One particular person's post mentioned an argument that I had with her when we were roommates about dishes in the sink.

"Really, is it such a tragedy to have a dish in the sink or shoes or a jacket left on the couch (the shoes would be on the floor, by the door in the living room)? I had some roommates that thought so, the table could have crumbs all over it and I couldn't tell you the last time they vacuumed (unless, of course we recently had cleaning checks) but dishes couldn't be in the sink, etc."

I posted an apology to her on her blog, but I also am a little baffled at the whole thing. I guess I will build my own bridge and get over it. This isn't the first time she has posted something that has attacked me or something I believe, so I am cutting ties, I think. I wonder if I am overreacting, but, I know that I haven't gained by maintaining the friendship, even just through facebook and blogging. From now on, I will try to be a positive blogger so that I don't become someone else's energy sucker (or "foofer" as Amanda Gore would say).

So to everyone (all 1 or 2 of you that read this blog), I apologize if I have ever been a pessimistic energy sucker to you. I will strive to "Always look on the bright side of life."

What's the best thing that's happened to you today?

Joseph is still wearing the same pair of big boy underwear he put on 5 hours ago - potty training day 1 is going well!

3 comments:

Steve, ToVah, Avery, and Z said...

YAY!!! Go Joseph!!!! The best thing that has happened to me today is that my little boy told me "Mommy I am falling in love with you." Haha made my day.

p.s. I say that if you don't keep in contact with her ;-) often anyways, there wouldn't be any harm done if you just didn't keep in contact with her. Do what makes you happy.

Harwood said...

Thanks ToVah - You have always been my favorite roommate :) Your little boy is super cute!

Darla said...

I sometimes find myself using my blog as my vent, so I think it can often sound much more negative than I intend it to! I'm working on being more positive too.

The best part of my day today: reading my kids bedtime stories. It's become something I look forward to each day (for more reasons than one!).